I am fascinated with Angela Duckworth’s work on grit and the importance of deliberate practice as the way to improve performance. Determination and perseverance are vital. I have not spent much time thinking about Calvin Coolidge, but his quote on persistence is exceptional.
Initiative — the decision to take action — is essential to any success. One of my favorite quotes is from Teddy Roosevelt.
Finally, creative problem solving is so important. While a common definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, the underlying concept is that to get different results, you have to try new things. It’s the commitment and effort to look at things differently and try new solutions that separates the ordinary from the successful.
I enjoy collecting articles about grit, initiative and creative problems solving. Please contact me at [email protected] if you have ideas for me.
To see my presence online, please visit my Links page
- Roland Jerrold Gibson, May 9, 1929 to February 9, 2015
- Lessons from my dad
- Nathan S. Gibson managed the 1990 re-election campaign of Representative Mary Jane Gibson
- Nathan S. Gibson served on the Belmont School Committee
- Labor Day at the Cape
- Panel Recommends Reinstatement of Nathan S. Gibson
- See In the Matter of Nathan S. Gibson