There are few things more rewarding than building your own remote work career. Unfortunately, the current coronavirus crisis is causing a lot of uncertainty for freelancers. Businesses everywhere are putting their projects on hold and laying off nonessential workers as they navigate the rough financial waters created by the COVID-19 lockdown. If you’ve lost work due to the pandemic, you’re certainly not alone. Here are some steps you can take to get back on track and find new remote work opportunities during this difficult time.
Learning to Cope with Job Loss
Moving on from a career setback is hard. Take some time to tend to your mental health and build up the motivation you need to tackle your next project.
- Bounce back from failure by cultivating self-compassion. Treating yourself with kindness and forgiveness is an important part of overcoming setbacks in work and life.
- Take steps to prevent loneliness and isolation while working from home. A little self-care will go a long way to keep your mental health strong.
- Avoid feeling stressed and vulnerable by overcoming debt and financial difficulties.
Preparing for Your Next Big Project
When you feel ready to move on from your setback, start looking to the future. Prepare your home and life for your next career move!
- Develop a healthy and motivating morning routine to jump-start your day and get you in the right mindset for finding and negotiating with clients.
- Adopt a personal work schedule to streamline your day and optimize your most productive hours.
- If household distractions are a problem, design a home office where you can get your work done more productively.
If You Need a Change, Try Something New
It’s easy to feel stuck when you’ve been working in the same industry for a while. Try shaking things up by jumping into a new type of work.
- Consider using your freelancing skills in an exciting new industry, such as copywriting or digital marketing.
- Help companies rank higher in search engine results by working as an SEO keyword research freelancer.
- Offer new services to your existing clients, focusing on services that will help them navigate issues with customer acquisition and engagement during the pandemic.
How to Make Your Clients Love You
If your clients really love working with you, they will keep giving you work and referring your services to others. Build yourself into the best possible freelancer you can be!
- To avoid needless conflict, make sure you’re always on the same page with your clients. Present a contract outlining the scope of work and the specific tasks you will be responsible for.
- Learn how to communicate effectively with your clients and always respond promptly to questions or inquiries.
- Go the extra mile and show your clients that you really care. Provide regular email updates, offer promotional gifts, send a thank you note, and ask for feedback. This will go a long way to help you build lasting relationships!
Working as a freelancer can be very fulfilling, but also very nerve-wracking. You never know when a sudden crisis—like the COVID-19 pandemic—will threaten your job security. But losing work isn’t the end of the world. There are plenty of ways to get back on your feet and find new clients, whether you decide to remain in your industry or shift your focus and try something different. Take this as an opportunity for growth!